Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

One of our Easter traditions over the years is my getting up early in the morning to paint on our front picture window “HE IS RISEN”. I leave it there for one week and the kids always enjoy seeing those words shadowed on our living room walls every afternoon as the sun drops. This year, being lazy (or just missing my college daughter who had taken over the window painting the last few years), I decided to paint the message on a paper banner and tape the banner to the window. Of course it was early morning when the idea hit and my mind hadn’t had the time to go through my usual creative process for new ideas (such as thinking things through), so I ran into a few problems. I painted the sign on a roll of paper, not considering the size of the window, so the paper didn’t fit the window. I taped the banner to the bricks under the window, but tape doesn’t really stick to bricks. I was checking the banner every little while all morning to make sure it hadn’t fallen down. It lasted until noon when the wind blew it into a tangled mess that stuck to the bricks in one spot. I had Isaac bring it inside; lesson learned for next year (assuming I will remember). But grand-daughter Avey was over and was so thrilled when Isaac brought in that beautiful (pink and blue) flowing new dress for her. She wrapped herself up in it (tape sticks to little girls pretty well), and strutted around, peacock-style, for the longest time. Next year I’ll go back to painting the window (or at least measuring it before I paint the banner), not because it didn’t thrill me to watch her showing off the profound message of the season, but because next year she’ll probably think a paper dress is passé. It's been a Happy Easter.

No comments: