Monday, June 28, 2010

the gift

Today I am getting my birthday gift: a new tire, for which I will pay half. You see, Saturday evening we decided to drive across town to our favorite Dutch bakery for one of my favorite treats, Napoleons. Isaac drove. On the way home he was trying to merge into traffic and was watching the traffic instead of the road. He jumped the curb, blew a tire, and sent the hubcap flying down into a ravine. Hannah dashed after the hubcap while Isaac and I surveyed the damage. Wow! We would need to change the tire.

The kids set to work and it was amazing to watch them. They cooperated so well, taking turns with the wrench and jack. Although it was hot, and we all got pretty dirty, no one was cross. No one got frustrated or angry. There was even chatting and laughing! When a gentleman stopped to see if we needed help, Hannah thanked him and said, “We’re just changing the tire; we can handle it.” I was very impressed! The work was done in no time and we cleaned up as best we could with tissues and a bottle of water.

Isaac was very apologetic and offered to pay half of the new tire. He asked if I would drive the rest of the way home. We had a simple supper and quiet evening together enjoying our Napoleons. None of us was worse for the experience; we were all probably better off. Isaac learned a few great lessons, Hannah grew in confidence, and I, well, I think it was the best birthday gift of all, watching my amazing children in action!

1 comment: