Saturday, December 11, 2010

Marco

I loved Marco the instant I met him, a month ago. He is one of my special ed students, a kindergartener in a fourth-grade body. What’s not to love: his angelic smile, his eagerness to please, his willingness to work hard. I look forward to my one-on-one time with him, the highlights of my day, really. I have an hour with him first thing in the morning for math, teaching him his numbers to 100 and one-digit addition and subtraction. Then later in the morning I have 45 minutes for reading, helping him learn sight words and write sentences. I can tell he loves me, too, for his face lights up when he sees me and he takes my hand as we walk together through the hall. Yesterday he looked at me and said, “Who are you?” I was surprised, had I never introduced myself? Perhaps he had forgotten. I told him my name and he smiled, glad to know. He took my hand and held it tight, then gazing right into my eyes, he smiled and said, “I love Miss Ricks.” “I love you, too, Marco!” He hugged me tight. And that makes it all worthwhile!

1 comment:

Eli said...

Hard to believe you get PAID for it too!