Sunday, July 20, 2014

If only...



A long while ago I started a series of posts about the English language and its demise (see posts titled “The English Monster” and “So What”).  Perhaps now is a good time to continue the series, as we prepare to start school once again.
                One of the most misplaced words in the English language is the word “only.”  A classic is “You only live once,” which, of course, should be, “You live only once” (since living isn’t the only thing one does only once).  Another is, “I only have eyes for you” Which would mean more if worded, “I have eyes for only you.”  The word “only” is an adjective and should be placed in a sentence right before the word it is qualifying.  For example, “I only have six dollars,” should be,  “I have only six dollars.” The number six is the word that “only” is describing.
                 “Only” is often misplaced in advertisements, “This sale only happens once a year” (the sale doesn’t end, it only happens?).  “You only pay shipping and handling” (you only pay, you don’t get anything?).  “You can only find it at Walmart”  (you cannot buy it there?).    
                My children had a poster in their rooms while growing up titled, “My Gospel Standards,” one of which is “I will only listen to music that is pleasing to Heavenly Father.”  You can imagine my frustration; I think it is also acceptable to “play”  or “dance to” or “sing” music that is pleasing to Heavenly Father.  I noticed that the poster has been updated and now includes, “I will only read and watch things that are pleasing to Heavenly Father.”  Where does that leave those who want to “write” or “speak” or “do” things that are pleasing to Heavenly Father? 
                And so, as you mind your Ps and Qs, watch that you put “only” only where it belongs…

No comments: