Friday, November 14, 2008

little miracles

My grandchildren were visiting yesterday when we heard a thunk! I recognized the sound as that of a bird flying into our picture window. It happens occasionally; they see the sky reflected in the glass and don’t realize until it is too late. Sometimes it kills the bird instantly, sometimes it just stuns it momentarily. So, fearing the worst, I rushed out to find a sparrow with blood dripping from his beak, alive, yet on his last leg. I took him inside for the children to see. They were so sad for the bird, each wanted a turn to hold him and offer sweet words of comfort; it was all very touching. I said a silent prayer that this wouldn’t be a traumatic experience for them. The bird didn’t die in their hands, but fearing their jostling was making his anxiety worse, I made a little bed for him in a small box and set it on the table where the children could keep an eye on him, speak sweetly to him, but not touch. Twenty minutes later he jumped to his feet! We were delighted and after another 10 minutes I carefully lifted him to the window sill outside. He stayed there another 10 minutes or so, then flew to a nearby rose bush, then farther to the lilac. He would be all right. I was SO relieved, and grateful that my silent prayer was answered with this little miracle. Then 4-yr. old Dallin, so thrilled with the wonder of it all, said, “I hope another little bird bashes into the window!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a sad and joyous story all in one!