Friday, January 29, 2010

The Case of Paul Drake's Dilemma

One of my purposes in watching all the old Perry Mason videos has been to find the only case I remember seeing many years ago. I remember it because of the very poignant final scene. I found it this week! It originally aired November 14th, 1959

Paul’s gun is used in a murder after Paul is knocked unconscious on a job. There are several suspects, each with a compelling motive for the murder, but things get complicated when a wealthy patriarch uses his money and influence to manipulate the evidence so as to cast suspicious away from his own children. Perry defends Paul, and eventually the truth comes out. In the final scene, Perry is summoned to the mansion of the millionaire, who is so delighted that none of his children was the murderer, that he hands Perry a generous check.

“There you are, sir, a very small token, I grant you.”
“Is this what you wanted to see me about?”
“Of course it is, and I’m sending an even bigger one to Paul Drake. Do you realize how foolish I feel after all my efforts to steer the course of events?”
“You very nearly steered them into causing a great injustice; Marsden might have confessed earlier if he hadn’t seen that you were helping to cover everything up.”
“Oh, I’m sorry, I thought it was necessary.”
“That’s the tragedy, Mr. Dameron.”
“What is?”
“You know when I leave here, I’m meeting Paul Drake at a restaurant. He’ll pick up the check for dinner; that’ll be the fee for my services. He’s just a friend, but I never once doubted his innocence.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“Mr. Dameron, I’ve never before met a person so far removed from humanity that he believed every one of his own children capable of committing murder.”

Perry picks up the check, tears it in pieces, and tosses it on the desk as he walks out.

No comments: