Tuesday, September 9, 2008

wise words

Heber J. Grant loved this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased.”

Heber J. Grant believed this with all his heart and proved it many times over through persistence and hard work. Ralph Waldo Emerson was indeed a very wise man. Here are some of his other gems of wisdom:



“Whatever you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.”

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children… to leave the world a better place… to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

Have a successful day today, dear friends!

2 comments:

DXOX said...

Dear L,
Thank you. I need these wise words. I am taking "K" to preschool (1st day) this afternoon and she has been gone this morning to a new friends house. So I have been thinking now what? A few hours to myself, do I clean or nap or resume what I put off (for 15 years) because it wasn't easy or just out of focus. As the wise has pointed out I guess I will be doing the difficult thing in hope that it will be come easy.
I love you, XOX

Unknown said...

That is a lovely quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson. I love Heber J Grant. He was a special man.