Tuesday, August 5, 2008

enough

One of my favorite quotes is from Mary Poppins, “Enough is as good as a feast!” That is an interesting philosophy, one to which I’ve subscribed throughout my life, mostly to squelch yearnings for more of a good thing. In many instances it truly applies and is a good way to approach things. I am at that age when blood-sugar levels have become a concern and I’ve had to think of certain foods with a different perspective. I read somewhere that the first bite of anything tastes the best. I’ve experimented with that and believe it to be true. If I really savor the first bite of my favorite (problem) foods, realizing that each bite after that will be less delicious (the law of diminishing returns), I can be satisfied with that one “best” bite and it is enough, it is as good as a feast, it IS a feast.

However, there are things in life for which that philosophy does not apply, things for which enough is not as good as a feast. For example, can we ever get to the point where we can say that we have enough knowledge; can we ever have “enough” friends, enough love; can we decide when we’ve had enough living? For some things, “enough” is a resignation to mediocrity. For on some things in life, we are meant to feast. There are things in life that we must feast upon to stay alive, the things that nurture and nourish the depths of our soul. They are our dreams and passions, the yearnings of the inner artist which needs to be free to feast…

4 comments:

jamiecassidy said...

Well said -on both ends of the spectrum-!

jamiecassidy said...

I've heard it said that "Man cannot live by bread alone....He must have peanutbutter".

Lovey said...

And, quite frankly, it is even better with my peach jam on it, too!

Jackie said...

I agree about the peach jam! Dallin does too! We love it! Oh, to always be close to our Nana Laura and her many talents!