Thursday, August 28, 2008

"Whodat"

One Saturday morning a while back, I went on my walk and ran into a lady looking around frantically and calling “Whodat, Whodat”. My first inclination was that she was a tad mad, but in actuality, Whodat was her pet yorky. She asked if I had seen it, but I hadn’t. I asked where she lived and told her I would keep my eye out. She lives one street over and a block down from us. A couple hours later, my husband left for the store running into (actually over) Whodat just down our street. The dog was killed instantly. He had darted out suddenly and my husband didn’t even see him. He heard the thunk as he rolled over the poor thing and thought he’d hit a squirrel. When he stopped to retrieve the dead squirrel (to take home for Penny, our dog) he discovered it was a dog. Witnesses saw the whole thing and pronounced my husband completely innocent of any culpability. The dog had no collar or tags, so he left his phone number at the home nearest the scene of the accident and lifted the corpse onto the grass under a tree. He phoned me to tell me about it. I actually wasn’t sure it was Whodat, seeing as how neither of us were quite sure what a yorky looks like. So when Hannah (our resident dog expert) got home, we visited the scene and she confirmed my suspicions, yorky all right. The three of us walked to the lady’s house and I began by asking if she had found her dog yet (I still had hopes). Then my husband interrupted me (cut me off from disclosing the true circumstances of his demise) to say, “We think he was hit by a car. He’s dead.” Way to fess up… We told her where to find him then we came home. She retrieved the body and obviously the phone number, for we got a call from her asking about the circumstances. My husband was very apologetic at first, but as the lady got more upset, he got more defensive and before we knew it threats were flying back and forth between the two of them and Hannah and I were beginning to wonder if he was GLAD he’d killed her dog. She never did make the connection that the kind people who told her about the dog were the same people who had caused its death. But perhaps it is better that way; some people don’t know that “vengeance is mine, saith the Lord”.

1 comment:

jamiecassidy said...

What a Hilarious story!
Genesis 3:12 "The woman thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat."
The first episode of blame and dis-own.... Your husband's answer is classic.
Way to fess up... It sounds like his confession would have been wasted on the dog's owner anyway...perhaps not on himself... I wonder, who would name their dog Whodat? And Why? I'll bet there's a story there too...
Thanks you so much for making me laugh today. Ha!
Funny, my grandmother used to say.."Whodat say'n whodat when I say whodat?!?" (I never really understood what it meant when she said it) I miss her. What a funny gal she was!
I can only hope the neighbors never help this lady put 2 & 2 together.