Saturday, August 2, 2008

on being real

The early morning is my favorite time of day. In the summertime I beat the heat and take my daily walk as the sun comes up. Even though we live in the city, I run into many wild creatures. In addition to the cats, dogs, squirrels and birds, I see rabbits, foxes, and even deer. One morning I met a most delightful creature, a barefoot boy, about eight, singing at the top of his lungs “We Are the Champions”. I could hear his singing a few blocks before I saw him and when he turned at the corner to walk the same direction as I, I hoped he wouldn’t notice me and stop his singing, I was enjoying it. But he saw me and stopped the music, not because he was embarrassed, but because he wanted to talk. We walked along together, well actually, across the street from each other, but the same direction and at the same pace. And we had a nice visit. His name is Elijah. I asked him if he was hoping to be on American Idol one day. He dismissed the notion with a wave of his hand, “No, no, I’m into scary movies.” And he proceeded to excitedly tell me about one he promised was sure to give me nightmares. We reached the corner where he was turning again and said our goodbyes. I was a bit sad that I didn’t even know where he lived, that I likely wouldn’t see him again. But he had made my day, this little boy, so uninhibited, so delightful, so REAL. I think we all start out that way, real. But somewhere along the way we lose some of that genuineness as we are taught how to fit in socially. Be this way, don’t do that, that is inappropriate… don’t sing at the top of your lungs; don’t talk to strangers. One of the greatest gifts you can give to another is to let them be real. And one of the greatest joys of life is to be with someone who lets you be real, someone who loves the uninhibited, the delightful, the real you.

2 comments:

jamiecassidy said...

And thus it is. The secret Curly was referring to. For Mitch, he discovered that for himself, it was his family. However, I think it is only one of the things that becomes evident on the path while in true pursuit of finding the "one thing". I have seen other answers like honesty toward self and others, etc.. To me, while honesty is very worthy as the "one thing" it's only a component as well. For me, being real is another.
I think the "one thing" is to find the true meaning of life (and death) itself. My guess is everyone thinks they are on this quest, while comparatively few really are. In my opinion, you are among the few, squarely standing (walking) in the middle of that path collecting the components and refining the parts that make up the whole....sharing where you can and when you can, especially with family and friends who are so close and dear to you. I suppose that's what intrigues me about your blog site and what goes on here, a certain kind of worthy endeavor. What a lucky find for me...

Lovey said...

And yet, I feel that I am the lucky one! Do you know how much you mean to me? You are very wise and I really appreciate your insights. I want to know more about you, although I feel that I know you well already by your comments, stories, and what I can read between the lines... Perhaps we will meet someday!