Wednesday, July 9, 2008

California stop

Many years ago I took my son, Eli, to get his drivers license. He had been chomping at the bit for a long time and felt fully ready and qualified; in his mind, there was no possibility of his failing the driving test. He probably had plans for that very afternoon to borrow the car and go somewhere on his own. But, as mothers are wont to do, I felt the need to review a few things on our way to take the driving test. I said, “Eli, there are two things you HAVE to remember: don’t go over the speed limit, and come to a complete stop at every stop sign.” But of course, he didn’t need or want any advice from me, and promptly dismissed my counsel with, “Yea, yea, whatever.”

He was devastated when he failed the test, and I was a bit surprised. “What happened?” “I didn’t completely stop at 9 stop signs.” Nine? I asked if he remembered me mentioning that on our way there, but he didn’t remember and I couldn’t convince him that I had… He took the test again a week later and passed with flying colors.

This was a great example to me of the principle that no one likes to be told something that they already know; but on the other hand, even things we DO know, we need to be reminded of from time to time. No one ever knows all there is to know about anything and even when we think we do, it is wise to be humble enough to accept the possibility that there is more to learn, and pay attention. A case in point is attending Church. Eli once said to me, “Why do I have to go to church? I’ve heard it all before.” I can see how it would seem that way to a teenager. Yet we continue to attend, continue to study, and always, if we are open to it, new, subtle insights and revelations come to us, usually pertinent to our current circumstances and challenges.

So when an opportunity to learn something new (or be reminded of something you already know) comes along, be careful about that California stop or you may miss the chance of a lifetime!

1 comment:

Eli said...

Sigh. I remember that well. I knew you had told me, but I was too proud to admit it. Thanks for trying anyway.