Wednesday, July 23, 2008

treasures

Too many adults regard children as a bother, too much trouble, or a necessary evil. Many years ago I had a friend who was quite the opposite. She valued all little ones as precious treasures, and spoke to each one in a kindly, loving voice, calling him, “my little treasure!” She told me of being in a grocery store and seeing a mother screaming at her children to not touch anything. Her screams went unheeded, those children had been conditioned long ago to tune her out. But her own children, so used to nothing but kindness and love, burst into tears when she calmly and lovingly suggested, “Now little treasure, let’s not touch the things on the shelves.” Her children were always her treasures, because she treasured them.

When I was a mother of young ones, I was always reminded to cherish these years, for they pass too quickly. It was hard to believe, for those days were long, with never a dull moment (or a moment to rest), but now that they are past, I, too, find myself wondering where the time went. I, too, find myself telling young mothers to cherish every moment with their little ones. I wake every morning to baby pictures of my six children on the wall, and wish more than anything for one more day with each of them, just to hear their chatter, their laughter. I wouldn’t wash a single dish or do any laundry. I wouldn’t clean or cook. I would kiss and caress their soft, smooth skin; I would smell their hair and study their faces. I would laugh and play. I kissed them and played with them when they were little, of course, but it wasn’t enough; or maybe I did it so much I began to take it for granted, not realizing those times were slipping away as the relentlessness of time crept forward. That precious time with my own little ones is but a dream as I now watch my sons becoming devoted and nurturing fathers. I am so glad that they treasure their little ones, for they are my treasures, too.

Happy birthday to my little treasure’s little treasure, Dallin Jeffrey, you are pure delight to me!

No comments: