Thursday, July 24, 2008

lessons from Rocky Ridge (part I)

(this is an excerpt from a talk given 14 July 2002 in Third Ward, Fountain Colorado Stake)

I LOVE the pioneers. I have always loved the pioneers. In fact, since I was a little girl, not a day of my life has gone by that I did not think about the pioneers. I imagine that in the great councils in heaven, when Father was determining our place in His grand plan for our earth life, I begged and pleaded for him to please let me be a pioneer. As I learned more of the pioneers throughout my life, I became quite confident that I would have been a great pioneer. I would have been fabulous. I’d have been like Mary Fielding Smith who called upon the powers of heaven to revive her dying oxen. I’d have been like the 5’4” wife who told her 200 lb. husband to get in the handcart, “You are tired, I’ll push you the rest of the way”. I’d have helped William Clayton write “Come, Come Ye Saints”. I’d have birthed babies in the pouring rain, crushed my china for the temple, cured the malaria epidemic… well, you get the idea. I presumed that Heavenly Father must have had enough pioneers, because, you see, I wasn’t one.

Then came the opportunity for my dream to come true. I was invited to come along on the trek with the youth of the Fountain Stake. For some reason, I wasn’t too thrilled. For some reason, I found myself murmuring… I was quite surprised that a would-be pioneer of my caliber would be having those reactions to such an opportunity with destiny. Then I thought, well, the real pioneers probably weren’t thrilled at the thought of getting kicked out of yet another settlement. They suffered anxiety over what was ahead, after all, life as a pioneer was not easy. This trek would not be easy either, even though it was more of a sugar-coated replica of the experiences of the past (mind you, they had no porta-potties, propane stoves, and sunscreen). I decided my feelings were normal pioneer feelings, but determined I would have a positive attitude through whatever lay ahead. Yes, I was well on my way to being a pioneer, of sorts. It would be a great experience, living a pioneer life for a few days, and it was my chance to prove that I really could have been a pioneer, the pioneer of my dreams, or as the pioneers would probably say to me: “IN YOUR DREAMS.”

No comments: