Sunday, July 13, 2008

memories

It seems our minds will never forget what we were doing when we found out President Kennedy had been shot. Or, for you younger ones, what you were doing on 9-11-01. Something about a tragedy of such magnitude seers the details of those events in our minds forever. But even more important to keep in remembrance are those events of the simple joys of our lives, the sweet memories. My sweetest memories are of seemingly insignificant moments or events, simple, happy times that I wish I could experience again: long afternoons spent up in the tree when I was 8; cold evenings sledding down Bird Hill wanting just one more run before it got too dark to find our way home; singing songs around the piano with my Dad; quiet time with a baby during the wee hours of the night; laughing with my sisters; a quiet afternoon with a friend.

How often our memories slip away from us over time, only to be brought back by a scent, a sound, or that eerie feeling of déjà vu. Journals keep our memories alive and although my journals are far from comprehensive, what I have written is as precious to me as gold. I’ve learned some other techniques as well that involve experiencing each moment fully through every one of our senses. While you are enjoying that happy time, pay attention with your eyes, imprint in your mind what you see, what you are wearing, what those around you look like, their eyes, their smiles. Close your eyes and pay attention with your ears, mentally recording the sounds of the voices, the background noises music, laughter. Savor the tastes of the moment and the smells, take in the sensations on your skin. Make mental notes of everything and revisit the scene often in your mind to keep the memory alive. Then whenever you are discouraged, you can bring those happy things to your mind again, feel those feelings again, and have peace.

Today is a day for me to wear that special blouse, find that favorite spot, read a few journal entries (or write some), and remember…

No comments: