Monday, July 21, 2008

synergy

When Isaac was in kindergarten I accompanied his class on a field trip to the zoo. The children were each assigned a partner and could explore the zoo as they desired, as long as they stayed with their partner and in view of their parent chaperone. I was assigned to keep an eye on 3 couples to make sure they didn’t wander too far. It really was a delightful morning. I enjoyed standing back and watching my little Isaac and his partner, a big girl. They discovered right away that if they cooperated they could get much more out of their zoo adventure. He was too short to read the informational plaques at each display. She didn’t know how to read. But if she lifted him up, he could read the information out loud. And that’s what they did. At each and every spot, she lifted him up and he read to her. It was a very sweet and tender thing to watch, and I was very impressed that they figured it out on their own. It was a blessing that the teacher had paired those two together, I wondered if it had been a random thing or if she had thought it through. For he had the skills she lacked, she had the size and strength he lacked. Together they made it work successfully.

I realized how important it is to have many different people in my life. We tend to attract people that are like us, but what a blessing it is to have instead, people that complement us. A truly wise individual appreciates what everyone has to offer and knows how to bring out the best in others for the benefit of everyone. The most successful leaders do not feel threatened by others who are strong and capable, but seek them out as a valuable asset and resource.

I have wonderful friends, each with strengths that I lack. One is very loving and giving. One knows how to enjoy life to the fullest, making every moment an adventure. Another is hard-working, idealistic and pure in heart; and still another is very down-to-earth and wise. I admire each of them for who they are and what they offer to me so willingly. It is wonderful to have their insights, their perspective. It is a blessing that our lives have crossed. Together, we are greater than the sum of our parts; together, we can get much more out of this great adventure called life.

No comments: