Saturday, July 19, 2008

fortune cookies and horoscopes

The last fortune cookie I opened read: DO ONTO OTHERS AS YOU WISH OTHERS TO DO ONTO YOU. An interesting concept, obviously an error in translation; language can be a tricky thing. It got me to thinking about those who write fortunes. I think I would like that job. There is a measure of excitement in opening a fortune cookie. I always hope it will say something meaningful, reveal some secret meant just for me, or give me wisdom that I need just at that moment. They rarely do, it is just a silly game after all, but sometimes I learn something very profound, so profound as to make me keep the fortune tucked away in a safe place. A few years back I opened one that read: BE TACTFUL, OVERLOOK YOUR OWN OPPORTUNITY. I thought that to be very wise counsel. Then just a couple of years ago I had one that said FATE WILL FIND AWAY. Now I don’t believe in fate, per se, but the message to me was, “be patient, everything will work out.”

Horoscopes are fun, too, and they would be fun to write. I don’t think an understanding of the stars is necessary (forgive me all you believers), although it would take a great deal of skill. The secret to writing a good horoscope is to make it specific enough to fit a single individual and yet vague enough to fit the circumstances in anyone’s life. We read them as a family and laugh at how a single horoscope can adapt to my grandson as well as to his mother; a different one to my son, Isaac, as well as to his dad.

A few months ago my daughter mentioned that as she falls asleep each night she makes up her own horoscope for the next day. It is a happy thing to take her into her dreams. I hope she realizes that writing her own horoscope is one thing, but she also has the power to write her own life. She has the power to let her dreams take her into a happy life.

Hmmm… That could be in a fortune cookie!

No comments: