Tuesday, February 14, 2012

beareth all things

This phrase means much the same as long-suffering, in that both require a measure of dignity and optimism. But in addition to these qualities, “beareth all things” requires somewhat of a submissive attitude, a “row with the flow” way of handling things, a flexibility that allows for the unexpected. Many years ago two of my children were seeing a therapist in the aftermath of abuse at the hands of a babysitter. It was a very difficult thing for me to deal with. One day their therapist said to me, “I bet this isn’t what you had planned for your family.” That one simple statement validated the feelings I could not identify, and allowed me to release much of the pain and frustration I had been feeling. I had not planned what had happened to my children, no one would, but I could bear it, and help my children through it. We are called upon to bear many things not of our choosing, but a loving, charitable person responds not with “why me?” but with a submissive “what now?” and then sets in to work to make the most of his present reality, bearing the burden instead of crumbling under it.

No comments: