Wednesday, February 22, 2012

what I want in a friendship

-I want to have many shared interests

-I want genuine caring and interest in each other’s lives

-I want compassion and understanding, emotional support

-I want to share honest opinions, points of view, feedback and perspective

-I want meaningful discussions, not just chit-chat/gossip

-I want a willingness to let each other learn from our experiences/mistakes

-I want appreciation of each other’s unique and amazing qualities

-I want thoughtful acts of kindness

I have fabulous friends. When I went through a divorce three years ago, I worried I would lose some of my friendships, especially since many of my friends were also friends with my husband. But I never did feel any hint of judgment from any of them, only the kind of support I needed. Looking back on it, I realize that my divorce was very difficult for them, a very sad thing, especially since they believed the façade I had been so careful to maintain. Yet they had the strength to buoy me up with honest feedback, perspective, and many acts of kindness. And they are there for me still.

No comments: