Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lamp Peddler, part 2

As he traveled the country side over the years, he sold many lamps. He returned to the Maker whenever he needed to replenish his supply or whenever a customer had a special order for the Maker. Martin got older, but he noticed that the Maker never seemed to age. He was always busy, but full of wise words for Martin.

“You are giving your customers more than light,” he would remind Martin, “You are giving them the means to illuminate truth, and when someone knows the truth, they are free to choose. Light is a very precious gift.”

As the years went by, Martin began to wonder if he would ever be ready to make lamps. He also wondered if he would ever find the one to receive the special lamp. The girl in his dream was never far from his thoughts; occasionally he would dream of her, and constantly he watched for her, until he came to wonder, is she a dream, or a memory? Is she even the one I am seeking? Then one day he approached a small, dark cottage on the outskirts of a small village. He knocked on the door and a woman came out onto the porch. When he gazed into her eyes, his heart leaped within him; could it be?

“Do I know you?” he blurted out, without thinking. Something seemed familiar to her, too, but he sensed a fear in her, so he quickly began his inquiry as to her need for a new lamp.

“I have a lamp,” she said, but, wanting him to linger, invited him to show her his. He hesitated, wondering to himself if he should bring out the special lamp. He thought it best to wait until he was sure.

He suggested, “Perhaps, since you already have a lamp, I could interest you in a new wick or chimney.”

Not wanting to admit that her lamp had ceased to give light many years ago, yet not wanting him to leave, she insisted, “Please, show me your lamps, I’d like to see all of them.”

One by one, he brought each to her porch, all but the special one, for he still wasn’t sure. Each lamp pleased her very much, but none seemed to suit her needs.

When she asked, “Have you another one?” He hesitated briefly, then couldn’t resist her soft green eyes and carefully brought the special one to her porch.

“Please light it for me,” her voice was soft and kind, her smile accepting. When the flame was adjusted just right, something in them both caught fire deep inside.

“Oh, it is so beautiful, so perfect!” she exclaimed, her eyes filled with an innocent delight. She sat down on the porch floor in front of it, like a little child, and as he saw the lamp reflected in her eyes, lighting her face, it seemed to illuminate her soul and he recognized her. She was indeed, the girl in his dream.

“You must have this one,” he said, slowly, softly.

“Oh, no,” she protested, thinking herself unworthy of such a beautiful lamp. “I am sorry, but I have no money for a lamp. It is enough that I can watch it for a few minutes.”

“But you must have it, I insist, I want you to have it.” It pleased him that the lamp delighted her so. It pleased him to think his long search was finally over.

“Honestly, sir, I cannot afford it; I have a lamp, and it must serve my needs. I am sorry for wasting your time and effort; please forgive me, but I cannot buy it.” Tears filled her eyes as she thought of the trouble she had caused him. He began to despair, wondering how he could possibly go away knowing that she is the very one for whom he had been searching these many years, the very one to whom the lamp belonged.

Tears filled his eyes, “Please, take it, take it as my gift to you, surely you cannot refuse a gift.” Then she began to weep openly, for she had never known such kindness.

“You are so very kind and generous, but I cannot accept it from you; it is wrong for me to accept such a gift from you.” She wept all the more and it pained him to see her grief. He was weeping, too, but a thought came to him.

“Bring me your lamp, I will let you have this one while I take yours to be cleaned and repaired. Will you let me do that?” She wiped her tears and managed to smile as hope swept across her face.

“Oh yes, what a perfectly lovely idea!”

While he packed away his other lamps, she went inside the dark cottage and brought her old lamp out. He could see that it was very old and that it hadn’t worked for many years. She was embarrassed to give it to him, but reminded him, “Now you will bring this one back as soon as it is working again.” He agreed, but thought to himself, I must think of a way to let her keep the other one. He watched her as she carefully lifted it and carried it into her dark house. He thought of the joy it brought to her, and the joy he felt at the role he played in such a happy outcome.

No comments: