Sunday, February 26, 2012

love makes the world go round

This saying really is true. It is the love in our lives that is our motivating factor, that makes life worth living, that gives us joy and meaning to all that we do. That love comes from our relationships, all of them, the most important being those within the family, and particularly that in the marriage relationship. That relationship alone provides the very foundation of love in our lives. When it is lacking, other relationships can compensate to some degree, but a marriage that lacks the qualities of love brings to each individual a tremendous amount of sadness that can permeate everything in life and even choke out the love we feel from other sources. There are hundreds of books written about the marriage relationship, full of ideas of what it is, should be, and how to make it all that you need/want it to be. I have come up with my own simple list of

“How to know if you have a celestial marriage:”

Both feel loved and accepted for who you are, you feel comfortable, safe with each other.

You share goals, purpose, you are excited to support each other’s hopes and dreams

You are on the same page, you are in agreement on most/major issues.

You problem-solve together, decisions are made together, you are a team, you cooperate.

You love to be with each other; when you are apart you look forward to being together again.

You admire, respect, appreciate each other

You are kind, gentle, compassionate with each other.

I don’t have that right now, but I know what it looks like, I know what it feels like, and I know that it is possible for me, even at my age. Until I can have a celestial marriage, I joy in the good and loving relationships that I DO have, many of them, and am so grateful that the sadness of a poor marriage relationship is finally behind me.

No comments: