Thursday, February 2, 2012

Charity suffereth long, and is kind

Although Mormon probably intended these to be separate items on his list of charitable virtues, I’d like to comment on their connection to each other. Several years ago I witnessed an exchange between a gentleman and a hotel clerk. The clerk was quite rude to the gentleman, but throughout the 5-minute exchange, the gentleman remained calm, very pleasant, and polite. As he wrapped up his business and walked away, I stopped him to ask about his reaction, or non-reaction to the rudeness he had experienced. He taught me some valuable lessons. “By nature I am a very polite and pleasant person. I am comfortable with who I am and don’t think it is necessary to let someone else’s rudeness influence who I am. Also, I have found that pleasantness in the face of rudeness can be rather disarming. If I return rudeness for rudeness, I give him justification for his behavior towards me. But by remaining kind, I give him no justification for his rudeness. I have found, too, that it is a kind and compassionate thing to give others the benefit of the doubt. I think to myself, ‘Perhaps he is exhausted or ill; perhaps he is upset about a family matter; perhaps he just dealt with an angry customer right before me.’ Those things don’t excuse his rudeness, but that way of thinking serves to help me try to understand him. Kindness is a way to take the high road, but it is also a way to invite another along on that road, lifting him to a better place, and that is worth the effort, don’t you think?” I had to agree.

More on being kind tomorrow.

No comments: