Tuesday, February 21, 2012

what I want in a parent/child relationship

What I want to do for them:

-I want to love them unconditionally

-I want to accept them for who they are, help them discover who they are and help become the very best they can become

-I want to respect them as individual human beings with value

-I want to be reasonable in my expectations

-I want to validate their feelings and have compassion for them in their struggles/mistakes

-I want to help them learn how to make wise choices, manage their agency

-I want to teach them by example how to value work and learning, and how to enjoy play

-I want to teach them coping skills, how to solve problems, and think creatively

-I want to be trustworthy, approachable, kind

-I want them to feel physically and emotionally safe in my home

-I want to encourage their dreams, and be in awe of their amazingness

What I want from them:

-I want them to love each other

-I want them to trust me enough to value my counsel; to share their dreams with me

-I want them to respect me as an individual and find value in who I am

-I want them to have compassion for me and acceptance of me in spite of my mistakes

-I want them to remember the good times of their childhood, and let the bad things fade away

-I want them to like to be home, to think of it as a haven

-I want their love for me to motivate them to help out as I need it

-I want them to let me enjoy their children; to be welcome in their homes

-I want them to be grateful that I am their mother, I want them to feel that they can rise up and call me blessed


I haven't been a perfect mother, but I have done my very best, and for the most part have everything I want in my relationship with my children. I AM in awe of their amazingness; they are my greatest joy!

1 comment:

Eli said...

We are all grateful that you are our mother! If you made mistakes, I have a hard time remembering them.